Do you need customs agent relocating your personal effects or household goods?

Customs clearance process for private goods and personal effects

Have you been wondering how to move your personal effects and private goods through customs controls after Brexit? Are you moving to or from France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Poland or anywhere else in European Union?

Many private individuals who are trying to move their personal belongings, seem to be lost in the world of customs clearance. Are you one of them?  Have you been trying to understand what T1, T2, EX1, C88, GMR and many other acronyms are? And which of these forms you actually need?

Well, no need to worry any more. Salvatori Customs Team is here to help you. All you need is customs agent that understands all these forms. Customs agent that can process “no comercial” private goods movements. And you have just found one!

Personal effects customs clearance
Personal effects customs agents

While you are moving to a new country and changing your residence, your furniture and possessions are changing their residence with you. As far as customs authorities are concerned you are exporting and importing goods. Even though these are your private goods and personal belongings customs clearance is required.

This means you will need to asses the value of your goods, and you may need to pay duty and VAT upon entry to your destination country. Don’t panic yet though! If you are changing your main residency permanently, you will most likely be able to claim tax and duty reliefs. These can allow your goods to travel duty and vat free. The goods news is, we can help you with that!

Please get in touch and we will explain everything. However, to get you started, we will require in-depth inventory list containing detailed information about your goods including values. You will also need to provide proof of identity, as well as your old and new residency confirmation.

Will I be taxed on the value of my furniture?
Getting private goods through customs

Again, if you are moving your main residency (Transfer of Residency process) then you will likely not have to pay any taxes. You will, of course, need to meet certain criteria and move your private goods and personal belongings within specified period. But, if you are eligible, we will make sure that we claim all the relevant tax and duty reliefs on your behalf.

However, if you are shipping some garden furniture to your holiday house where you don’t have permeant residency, then you will need to pay taxes and duties.

As you may be aware from 1st January 2022 Brexit got even tougher. All movements must have full customs clearance before vehicles can cross the border. No more delayed declarations. Also, transporters must register their journey on the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) in order to be able to ship your belongings.

So, how I can move my personal belongings through customs hassle free?


Salvatori can arrange all this for you. We are well prepared and understand the process that is required, so your move goes as smoothly as possible. If you need more information please call us on 01227 722 247, email us or get in touch via our contact form and we will be more than happy to help!